The Art of Jazz Drumming
Jazz Drumming Technique
This is a fun easy way for drummers to learn and excel at playing.
Keep it fun.
CD 1 - Jazz Combo
1. Basic 12 bar blues
2. So What - Miles Davis (slow swing)
3. All blues - Miles Davis (slow swing 3/4)
4. Footprints - Wayne Shorter (Avangard 3/4)
5. Scrapple from the apple - Charlie Parker (medium swing)
6. Night In Tunisia - Dizzie Gillespie (medium swing)
7. Naima - John Coltrane (ballad)
8. Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock (medium rock)
9. Passion Dance - McCoy Turner (medium up swing)
10. Head Start - Bobby Hutcherson (fast swing)
11. Milestones - Miles Davis (very fast swing)
CD 2 - Big Band , Swing , Rock-Funk , Latin
1. Four (trade 4 bar solos with drums)
2. Four (trade 4 bar solos without drums)
3. Shiny Stockings (big band swing) - Buddy Rich
4. Old Time Blues (big band swing) - Steve Houton
5. Jumpin at the woodside (Count Basie Swing)
6. The Chicken - (big band funk) - Jaco Pastorious
7. Canteloupe Island - (Funk) - Herbie Hancock
8. Little Sunflower - (bossa) - Freddie Hubbard
9. Spain - (Samba) - Chick Correa
10. Freddie Freeloader - (Cha Cha) - Miles Davis
11. Solar - (mambo version) - Miles Davis
Check out the Classes at J7 Studios in
Moss Beach, CA
How to Trade Solos
Full Range of Tempos
The Art of Jazz Drumming with Barry Hutcherson
This course prepares drummers to play in Jazz Combo, and Big Band situations. Students will learn popular tunes which they would likely have to play at a gig, jam session, or school band.
The course will cover swing (bebop), Latin , Rock-Funk , all rhythms predominant in Jazz.
Included with this course is a 2 CD set , and sheet music by various Jazz legends such as:
Charlie Parker , Dizzie Gillespie , Miles Davis , Herbie Hancock , Wayne Shorter , John Coltrane , Freddie Hubbard , Bobby Hutcherson , Chick Corea , Jaco Pastorious
and drummers such as:
Max Roach , Jimmie Cobb , Elvin Jones , Tony Williams , Buddy Rich , Lenny White , Peter Erskine , Ohmar Hakim
Classes will have 2 full drum sets .
We will listen to tunes, and then play along. I will demonstrate ways of playing and many different riffs / fills , then have the student play.